How to make Beetroot Gravy Recipes
Beetroot Kurma, nutritionally rich beetroot are cooked in coconut based masala gravy. This is a simply delicious gravy and is a perfect accompaniment for chapati, poori or any Indian bread varieties. Rich color of beetroot makes this dish completely appetizing and appealing. When we need to make roti and side dish for a group of guests, then, this would be a perfect dish. Its totally rich in quantity and the taste is delectable. Usually, many of us make vegetable kurma or Paneer Kurma, but try this beetroot kurma and you would surely enjoy it!
Preparation and Yield:
- Preparation time 15 mins
- Cooking Time 40 mins
- Servings 4
- Recipe Category
- Recipe Cuisine
- Finely Chopped Beetroot 2 Cups*
- Cubed Potatoes 1 Cup
- Finely Chopped Onions 1 Cup
- Finely Chopped Tomatoes 1 Cup
- Ginger Garlic Paste 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt To Taste
- Finely Coriander Leaves 1 tablespoon
- In a vessel,add finely chopped beetroot and cubed potatoes in a vessel and add a pinch of turmeric and salt. Keep the vessel inside the cooker, close the lid and pressure cook them allowing for 3-4 whistles.
- Meanwhile, lets start with grinding ingredients. Take all the grinding ingredients to the mixer and grind them all to a nice and smooth paste by adding water as needed
- Heat oil in a pan. add a bay leaf amd saute it for few seconds. Then add cumin seeds. The cumin seeds starts to sputter. Now add finely chopped onions and saute them.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute them with onions
- Add a pinch of salt and saute the onions. The salt brings out the moisture from the onions and make the onions to cook nicely and evenly
- When the onions are transparent and becomes nicely brown, add the chopped tomatoes and give a good mix. Add a teaspoon of coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and give a good mix.
- Add turmeric powder and add the necesary salt needed for this dish at this point itself. as i mentioned earlier, adding salt would quicker the process of cooking the gravy
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow the onion-tomato gravy to cook nicely in low flame'
- While the gravy is getting cooked, I have taken out the cooked beetroot from the cooker. Check the gravy. The gravy would have been nciely cooked and you can see the oil oozes out of the gravy
- Its time now to add the cooked beetroot. Give a good mix Then add the ground masala and mix everything well. If you feel the gravy is very thick, you can add 1/4 cup of water at this stage
- Cover the pan and cook everything for 5 minutes in medium flame
- Open the lid and garnish with finely chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Appetizing and appealing beetroot kurma is now ready. Serve with any Indian bread of your choice and you will surely enjoy the taste!
Back to Recipes